+ Post New Thread
AU General Chat Thread, K-Rudd's D.E.R. in Australian (AU) Specific Forums; NSW are intending to give every Y9 student for the next 4 years a "netbook" which will be theirs to ...
    Thank Post

K-Rudd's D.E.R.

NSW are intending to give every Y9 student for the next 4 years a "netbook" which will be theirs to have. Every staff member is supposedly getting one too... each school will have a DET employed technician on-site to manage the netbook fleet. Supposedly managed wireless networks are going to be deployed from April, with the netbooks being deployed after that...

Despite all of that, the vendors still haven't been decided on for the wireless or netbooks (Crunch time for NSW DET laptop vendors | Australian IT)

Fun and games for all!

How are the other states managing Kevin Rudd's "Digital Education Revolution"?

Thank Post
    We are getting sufficient computers to get us to a one pc for two pupils. Most will be pc's not laptops as we want to get maximum life out of them. Interesting though it does talk about continuing making plans to accommodate a 1 to 1 ratio by 2011. Maybe he is planning to hand out more if he gets another term?

Thank Post
    One needs to ask however, what happens to these PCs once they past their used by date? I suspect it is up to the schools to replace them, and I imagine that whilst many private school could do this, the public sector may not?

We have been trying a laptop program at our school. It works ok, but the are downsides: (1) It takes more time to move them to the classroom (We use a trolley, and is difficult for the second floor to use them at all due to the time factor). (2) they get damaged more often. The students seem to think 'well its not mine, so who cares if I break it?'. (3) they tend to be a little slower, with regards to booting up, as well as for wireless intensive applications such as video. (4) it requires a shift in thinking for the staff, who need to either have the students sitting around the outside of the classroom or move themselves to the rear of the classroom, in order to keep an eye on what students are doing. (5) Battey concerns, whilst they have not arisen at this early stage, will eventually surface.

I am by no means putting down the laptops. They provide us with the flexibility we did not have before, but I am concerned when I see that $700 - $800 (and cheaper) netbooks are going to be used. I cannot see the benefit, except for the politicians, who can then say," we got the ratio to 1:2" . The speed of these machines over the long term is questionalable, especially when we see our Desktop PCs with speed issues at the 3 - 3.5 year mark.

It is my view, that the bulk of money is better spent on desktops, whilst providing a smaller number of laptops to cater for this growing area. We presently are using three laptop trolleys, and yes, we do plan to add more, to remove some of the issues (such as time taken to collect and set up) by adding them to more locations.

It is an interesting issue. I really wasn't to sure at first, but now have a much better picture of it having used them. I suspect that some of these problems will vanish as time progresses, and manufacturers overcome these concerns.

Anyway... enought from me!

Thank Post
    ... each school will have a DET employed technician on-site to manage the netbook fleet ...
    Whether they want it or not? haha sounds very state governement. To be honest the movement as a whole is abit of a joke as far as a national programme.

But were running with it, enjoying its fruits while we can. Ofcourse everyone returns to the same point of:

What happens when in 3 years the computers are write offs, who will buy/obtain these then?

Thank Post
    When they are allocated to the kids in Yr9, they keep them... so when they finish Yr12, they get to keep it as a paper-weight...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information