+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AU General Chat Thread, New Australian Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in Australian (AU) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns What kind of jobs? Network Manager type or just technician type? What kind of visa are ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    What kind of jobs? Network Manager type or just technician type?

What kind of visa are you on? I found it really really tough to get anyone to touch me with my working holiday visa. But if your on a perm visa you should pick up work quite easily..

Check out seek.com.au daily
    i am just looking for technician jobs at the moment. And unfortunately i am on the working holiday visa, but hoping a school will be willing to sponsor(only actually costs the school $400), in return for me staying with them for around 5yrs! i am looking to settle here for a while, and its easier to get the working holiday visa to come here first.....

have applied for a few jobs, they dont close till next friday, so will have to wait and see.....

what work didyou manage to get hold of???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We looked at the sponsorship for here, but unfortunately for IT the minimum salary required by the government is $61k and good luck finding a school willing to pay that for a technician.

Subclass 457 – Market Salary Rates

$61 920 for all other Subclass 457 visa holders working in ICT occupations
    With the stipulations of the 6month limit with the working holiday visa, I found that very few places wanted to know, as even the jobs advertised for a 6 month contract, were all looking for someone who they could have the opportunity to extend at the end of the 6 months..

Ive been pretty damn lucky landing this job..

Ive got my Skills Assessment in at the ACS at the moment which is the pre-requesite for the Skilled Migrant Visa (permanent residency).. so if I pass the skills test i can then hopefully get a PR visa.

Thank Post

G'day

Hi all,

This being my first full time job in the IT industry. I am employed by the departyment of education here in Victoria working at a High school.

I was employed as IT/Resources support but i has main come down to looking after about 175 desktops from hardware problems and purchasing software to just recently setting up two new lab for the art and music departments.

I also do two days a week in the library where I have been given the nicknames "Scary Tech" and "Nazi" as i like to carry my netbook around and have the power to kick kids off the network if they are doing something the shouldn't as well as adding online proxy site to our proxy.

Im fairly new to the industry but U have loved working with computer for about 10 years now. Just about to start studying again, working towards my CCNA (Security, VoIP), Comptia A+ and MSCE (Enterprise).

Anyway off to work I go.

Catch you all on the flip side.

Plus I also run my own website.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Welcome to edugeek BenTruscott

I'm another IT Tech doing work in the Library too!

Thank Post
    Yeah, i love it though............im a strong believer that kids are at school to learn and not play games. They have facebook at home, no need to be on it at school!

R0M
    Thank Post
    Welcome Nice to see some more Australians on this board

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Maybe edugeek will put on an event for us all, or send us some free pizza or something

Thank Post
    Maybe edugeek will put on an event for us all, or send us some free pizza or something
    That would be nice!!!!

Thank Post

Smile WA School Technician

Hi All,

Originally employed to fix computers at a High School in Perth. Job has grown, as I am the only IT person at the school, and am now creating websites (Joomla/Moodle), modifying servers and all the other stuff that comes with looking after about 300 Computers and 6 servers
    Soon to become a Network Administrator - , as they are re-classifying my job - As I do this role anyway.
    Enjoy playing around with technology and working in air-conditioning. Was a teacher before (Primary IT), but too much hard work .
    Found this site when looking for Joomla templates, the Edugeek Joomla Template 1.5 is such a clean design and am using it to create our schools website.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Hello all and welcome..

It would be nice to attend an ozedugeek event, wouldn't it!

Thank Post
    SuperBump!

I've just come from being a Systems Administrator in a publicly-listed international accommodation company based in QLD, and am now working as an AD/Messaging Admin in Melbourne at one of Australia's biggest private schools. My interests lie mostly in Exchange/SQL, AD is getting a bit *yawn* after 4 years of doing it. I'm mid-way through an Exchange 2010 deployment at the moment which I'm loving, and have many many things planned. I don't know any other school IT staff (other than those I work with) so I guess I'm here to get a bit of a distributed view on things... Our department supports approximately 1400 notebooks and about 300 desktops (PC+Mac).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Welcome to edugeeek chrisbrown!

As you've probably noticed, life in the academic environment is a little different to that in the commercial world! my Sysadmin days in the real world seem an age away... I get less pay and more sleep now!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forums chrisbrown

Thank Post
    Thanks heaps!

Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    As you've probably noticed, life in the academic environment is a little different to that in the commercial world! my Sysadmin days in the real world seem an age away... I get less pay and more sleep now!
    Immensely so. I didn't get any significant pay rise coming here, but tonight is my first night of doing work after hours, and all I'm doing is sitting and waiting for a bash script to run over our mail proxy. Once it finishes, I make sure it was successful then run another script...It's a tough life. It's a nice breath of fresh air after working 50+ hour weeks for the last 6 months. Not being on call any more is nice too...

Thank Post
    Check out seek.com.au daily
    Whirlpool.net.au has a job board as well, that often has some useful options... as well as searching for jobs directly relating to organizations like NSW DET (Department of Education and Training)...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast