+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AU General Chat Thread, New Australian Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in Australian (AU) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns I spent a year working at a school in rural NSW. Was fun. Heading back out ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I spent a year working at a school in rural NSW. Was fun. Heading back out to Australia at the end of march. Just getting a 1 yr visa to start, but hopefully will get a Skilled Person visa after that, I pass the points test on the website.

Not got a job sorted yet for out in aus. Any good agencies I should be looking at?
    Theres not much of anything at the moment (well at least in QLD).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah well, a year on the beach with some VB will need to do then

Thank Post
    i dont know how the rest of the guys/gals see it here but in most schools (i can only speak for NSW) a professional, or dedicated IT team or personell is largley *frowned* (i think im looking for another word, when i think of it lll edit) upon.

Professional IT teams are somewhat deemed a luxury and most schools are run by a teacher whom 'likes IT', is the 'IT teacher' or 'has a brother in IT' - these are all true words spoken by even within the school i maintain!

Id like to hear OutLaw's thought as he and i are some what in the same boat, but what does everyone think in the whole? IE how does it play out outisde of NSW?

Not to scare you Rabbie at all - possibilities are here ofcourse but i definatley sense a difference in mentality here from the threads i read across eduGeek and obviusly UK situations.

EDIT: VB has got the be the worst beer around, yet still un-australian if you dont drink it haha upgrade to a crownie rabbie!
    Last edited by amfony; 26th February 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: forgot the most important point

Thank Post
    Most of the schools that my company works at tend to use the Computer Coordinator allowance or charging students an "IT Maintenance Fee" (usually $10-$25/kid) to pay for us to be on-site.

I guess it varies from site-to-site how welcomed we are by staff. Some schools like to push the envelope in terms of the technology in the school, and as such we're seen as more of a necessity due to the reliance on IT within the school. Of course this also has the downside with some staff seeing our presence as a "oh great, whats different now?". Other schools are more reluctant to have us around, but know that they need to keep systems up and running (or updating outdated systems eg moving from Novell to Windows Server) and have the "we have no choice" type mentality.

Generally tho, especially with the NSW DET's approach to DER (K-Rudd's Digital Education Revolution) looking more and more convoluted as time goes on (giving laptops to students, including rolling out managed wireless networks and providing a laptop for staff too despite no tenders being decided yet), we're picking up more schools as time goes on, rather than less... and because we work at so many schools, we have formed good relations with DET ITD which increases our business, too...

Thank Post
    Hi all.
    Craig "Hairball" from Vic.
    I look after 4 schools out in the burbs.
    The Department gives us a forum for this but I think the more resources the better.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    Hi all.
    Craig "Hairball" from Vic.
    I look after 4 schools out in the burbs.
    The Department gives us a forum for this but I think the more resources the better.
    Welcome to the site, good to have more people from the southern hemisphere on.

R0M
    Thank Post
    Hey all,

Michael from WA, I support a school near Perth 3 days a week. Fairly small (600 students).

I have been reading some of the posts since I discover this site about 2 weeks ago and when I saw this thread thought that was a good enough excuse to make an account an start posting.

Looks like there are lots of good resources here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The site now recognises my IP as being australian so I guess I can officially sign this page of the guest book

Thank Post

New to schools

Hi all,

New here. Just got a job at a School in Sydney a couple of months ago as an ICT technician.
    Settling in quite nicely now.

Hoping I can both find and provide some answers to some tricky questions on these forums.

Cheers,

Thank Post
    Hiya EduGeek

I been here reading your forums for a while now and only signed up a week or so ago.

I'm ICT in 2 primary schools in the NT, only been in this job for about 4 months. Before this job I worked as a Network techy for a local IT company which also ran an ISP for 4 years.

Good to be here and seya round

Thank Post
    Hi.

Been working virtually full time at an R-12 school here in Adelaide for almost 2 years now. We're working with a brand new network setup here at the moment and going through the monumental teething problems associated with it (2000+ students over 2 campuses). Before that was I was very part time at a primary school while I was at TAFE.

Mostly here looking for answers to some of our long term problems we have been having and always looking new ideas/innovations to improve what we already have.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Australian edugeeks one and all (and RabbieBurns, who only just counts )

13. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

RabbieBurns (22nd September 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowardlyduck View Post
    Hi all,

New here. Just got a job at a School in Sydney a couple of months ago as an ICT technician.
    Settling in quite nicely now.

Hoping I can both find and provide some answers to some tricky questions on these forums.

Cheers,

Wheres the best place to look for jobs in schools? Do they advertise on seek etc or is there a special schools education recruitment place?

Thank Post

Im here

Hi,
    My names Nigel, and i used edugeek in the uk. I have come to australia in the hope of a more relaxed lifestyle, i am currently in sydney, but am looking for work in schools in and around the central coast mainly, any positions going???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nmintern View Post
    Hi,
    My names Nigel, and i used edugeek in the uk. I have come to australia in the hope of a more relaxed lifestyle, i am currently in sydney, but am looking for work in schools in and around the central coast mainly, any positions going???
    What kind of jobs? Network Manager type or just technician type?

What kind of visa are you on? I found it really really tough to get anyone to touch me with my working holiday visa. But if your on a perm visa you should pick up work quite easily..

Check out seek.com.au daily

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast