In the days of Windows XP we used Impero V2 to monitor our network and ensure students were behaving appropriately in lessons. The console could be a hit or miss sometimes but it was quick and we could monitor workstations without a decrease in performance.
Fast forward to Windows 7 and Impero V3:
Ever since Impero V3 (Currently at version 3.0.53) has been running, we have noticed websites "sticking" when loading and our Frog VLE performing slowly. Infact
Today we did a real world test on our Windows 7 system.
We've built a ICT Suite that is due to come on-line this September and invited 5 students to come in and try it out. I moved their accounts temporarily into the OUs we have setup for Windows 7 and moved them to the appropriate Security Groups and got them to log in. Sophos was installed and running, along with Impero V3.0.38 and we're still using CSE but not using their Workspace, purely using the CSE System to build and administer