Disable spell and grammar check for Office 2010
by, 10th December 2012 at 10:30 AM (4995 Views)
It's that time of the year again when I have to start looking at disabling spell check on Word for various Mock Exams. If only Wordpad had headers and footers, I wouldn't need to go through this every year...
Anyway, having updated to Office 2010 over the summer, my previous group policy objects aren't going to work with Office 2010, so time for a new way of doing things.
First of all, I'll credit the website where I got the info, and feel free to follow them rather than my ramblings! This site will pretty much guide you through the entire process:
It states its for Office 2007, but it works just fine for Office 2010 as well.
You'll also need to download the admin templates from here:
And there is another method you might want to try here:
Having read through the above links, I downloaded and installed the Admin templates into my Sysvol group policy directory, and then carried out the instructions from the first link, including the extra instruction in the comments section you might miss:
"Office 2010 no longer has the Group Policy option to turn off the Spell Checker. However it this can still be achieved by writing a DWORD value to the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Office
Value name "WordSpellingOptions" Value=0 No Spell Checking. Value=5 Spell Checking Enabled."
With the group policy and registry setting in place, I tested it. Spelling had definitely been disabled, and I couldn't access any of the options to turn it back on. Also the shortcut to run spellcheck had been disabled. Sadly, Grammar tests were still being carried out, and my Word document filled with little green squiggly lines.
I edited the GPO, and went to User Config - Polices - Admin Templates - Microsoft Word 2010 - Word options - Proofing and disable anything and everything to do with spell and grammar checking, including everything under AutoCorrect and AutoFormat as you type.
This completed, I tested again, and success, the squiggly green worms had disappeared.
However, there is one last remaining issue I can't work out, which is that the first letter of each paragraph is being automatically Capitalised. I should be able to solve this by manually logging onto each Exam account, and unticking the 'capitalize beginning of table or cellí option. I would far prefer a network soloution to this, if anyone finds one, please let me know!
Please note this was tested on a Windows 7 PC, with Office 2010 in a Server 2008R2 environment.
Total Trackbacks 0