The Saga of Impero
by, 27th October 2010 at 10:14 AM (5065 Views)
In the days of Windows XP we used Impero V2 to monitor our network and ensure students were behaving appropriately in lessons. The console could be a hit or miss sometimes but it was quick and we could monitor workstations without a decrease in performance.
Fast forward to Windows 7 and Impero V3:
Ever since Impero V3 (Currently at version 3.0.53) has been running, we have noticed websites "sticking" when loading and our Frog VLE performing slowly. Infact it happens so consistantly that when disabling the Impero SVC and Guardian services, we were suprised at how quick our internet connection is. Pages load almost instantly and Frog whizs through without any problems at all.
We are also having problems with printing since updating to version 3.0.53 but we have since been told that is down to a corrupt install package.
If we enable the relevant Impero services on a machine, clicking on links can cause websites to hang for up to ten seconds before loading, Frog stutters and web performance slows right up.
Not one to shy away from unbiased testing, I have tested and experienced this problem on numerous machines, under different usernames (Admin and student) and have even recorded my findings using CamStudio (A great piece of free software by the way).
The difference is more than noticable, my NM (FragglePete) has just been in contact with them and they have suggested a few tweaks to cure this issue.
Let's hope it works because if it doesn't, some decisions are going to have to be made.
Watch this space...
Total Trackbacks 0